Sinus Lift Postoperative Instructions
Your doctor has completed the procedure that involved filling your upper jaw sinuses (normally present air filled cavities located above upper back teeth or where they used to be) with material that is comprised of bone growth ingredients or so called bone graft. As you must have been explained this procedure involved breaking through the sinus wall or floor or both.
To ascertain timely and undisturbed healing it is very important that you follow the recommendations outlined below.
1. Avoid “peaking” at the area of the surgery as you may disrupt stitches while pulling your cheek to the side. Also exercise caution while performing your routine oral hygiene procedures such as brushing and flossing. Do not apply any direct water irrigation devices (Waterpik) to the area of the surgery, unless your doctor allowed so. Application of power jet streams to the area with suture may damage the wound integrity and expose bone graft, which in turn will lead to further complications and may even necessitate the graft removal.
2. Avoid any strenuous physical activity following a few days past your surgery or long as your doctor suggested.
3. Do not blow your nose for that may significantly increase air pressure inside your sinuses and cause the graft break through.
4. Avoid sneezing for the reasons listed above. Please use nasal spray such as Afrin or any other decongestant that was recommended / prescribed by your doctor. That will help you to decrease nasal secretions and reduce any congestion
5. In some cases you may see some particles coming out of your nose or even scanty amount of blood. That is considered to be normal for as long as there is no significant amount of bleeding taking place that appears to be beyond scanty amount.
6. Please make sure to take all prescribed medications accordingly for they are helping to prevent infection, decrease postoperative discomfort, etc.
7. Should you notice any persistent congestion at the site of the surgery, unusually rich secretions, or start experience any symptoms such as pain, swelling, severe headache (beyond that you normally may have) or fever, please immediately contact us for emergency check up.
8. Contact us if you have any further questions or there is something else that was not covered above and you need further specific clarifications.